Running a Main Street program is no easy task. Whether its scheduling a board meeting, organizing volunteers or alerting the public of road closures in downtown, executive directors are expected to do it all while juggling several other tasks. However, the use of technology can level the playing field when it comes to getting your message out and mobilizing constituents around a pressing issue. Here are five useful technology tools that Main Street executive directors can use to stay organized, funded, and in the public eye.
1. Need to schedule a board training that works for everyone’s schedule? Doodle radically simplifies the process of scheduling events, whether they’re board meetings, fundraising events, trainings, or anything else. This smart assistant saves time and in the end, it brings people together. Doodle is free and doesn’t require registration by either the initiator or the participants of a meeting poll.
2. Need to get the message out about upcoming events? Constant Contact, MailChimp and Emma are great email marketing tools that help you send professional-looking emails that keep your constituents engaged and spread the word even further. If your program is not doing e-newsletters, then you should. The New York Times reports that e-newsletters are growing in popularity despite the fact that young people prefer texting and instant messaging to dealing with their inboxes.
3. Need to send out professional donation forms or event registration Adobe FormsCentral allows you to create and design professionally branded forms using Adobe’s drag-and-drop online form builder.
4. Need to send out a mass text message to your volunteers? SendHub offers all the benefits of a business phone system, without the complex installations, hefty costs, and IT requirements that constrict them. Appreciated for its ease-of-use, SendHub’s all-inclusive business phone suite offers full-featured voice, text messaging and enterprise analytics on any device out-of-the-box.
5. Want to really engage your volunteers? VolunteerMark! operates as a volunteer management software that maximizes the volunteer experience through communication, scheduling and reporting tools. Using the mobile-friendly software, nonprofit organizations can easily manage volunteer opportunities, schedule multiple shifts at once, recruit new volunteers, communicate through multiple platforms and track volunteer data.